A lot of people with braces complain about their teeth turning yellow. However, is it really true? Well, with all honesty, braces by themselves cannot cause your teeth to turn yellow. However, improper oral hygiene combined with the consumption of restricted food while having braces can contribute to the discoloration of your teeth.
We at Wilmington Orthodontic Center understand the trepidations which our patients may feel while getting their teeth straightened. Owing to this, we have created a list of reasons that can potentially cause your teeth to turn yellow.
- The number one and the most common cause of yellow teeth with braces is the failure to maintain good oral hygiene. Oral hygiene forms the crux of maintaining good oral health and preventing any diseases. However, with braces, brushing can be a little tricky and uncomfortable to some. This can make many people skip their routine oral hygiene, leading to plaque accumulation, which leads to discoloration and contributes to gum diseases. To prevent this from happening, make sure you brush your teeth twice a day and remove all the food particles that adhere to the braces. Use floss to clean between your teeth. In some cases, our orthodontist in Wilmington may also suggest you use an interdental brush. Ensure you follow good oral hygiene to prevent any yellowing of teeth during your orthodontic treatment.
- Consumption of excessive caffeine, tea, alcohol, soy sauce, basically any food or beverage that contributes to staining the teeth.
- Not rinsing your mouth after a meal also contributes to the yellowing of the teeth.
- Consumption of sticky food substances like candies and chocolates will also accelerate teeth yellowing, especially in the absence of good oral hygiene.
- Chewing or smoking tobacco.
- Not following your orthodontist's advice and not showing up for regular dental cleaning appointments will also contribute to teeth discoloration.
However, you can prevent all this from happening by ensuring you follow our orthodontist's advice. After all, a bright and straight smile can indeed brighten up your day. If you have any more questions or would like to schedule an appointment with us at Wilmington Orthodontic Center, please reach out to us, and our team of excellent dental professionals will be there to assist you.