Braces are a great way to achieve a beautiful and healthy smile, but they can also cause some discomfort and pain during the process. After having your braces removed, you may be wondering if your teeth will remain sensitive and what can be done to help alleviate any discomfort.
This is caused by the enamel on the teeth becoming exposed to the air and temperature changes in the mouth after the braces are removed.
Teeth sensitivity after braces removal is normal and usually resolves on its own within a few days to weeks. It is important to follow your orthodontist’s instructions for proper care of the teeth and gums after braces removal.
Causes of Tooth sensitivity after braces removal
- Tooth grinding (bruxism)
- Poor oral hygiene
- Aggressive brushing
- Decay or cavities
- Teeth grinding
- Gum recession
- Use of acidic foods and drinks
Treatment of Tooth sensitivity after braces removal
Tooth sensitivity after braces removal is a common issue that can be treated with proper care. The most important step is to ensure that the teeth and gums are healthy and free of any infection. If an infection is present, it should be treated first.
Once the teeth and gums are healthy, follow the following treatment options:
- Visit the dentist for a check-up and cleaning after braces removal.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean teeth.
- Avoid acidic foods and drinks that can erode enamel.
- Use desensitizing toothpaste to reduce discomfort.
- Brush gently and avoid hard scrubbing.
- Floss daily to keep teeth and gums healthy.
- Consider fluoride treatments or sealants.
- Monitor your diet to identify triggers of sensitivity.
Regular dental check-ups are also important to ensure that the teeth remain healthy and free of any infection.
If the sensitivity doesn't dissipate after several weeks, it is recommended to consult your dentist for further advice.
If you have any more question, or you wish to schedule an appointment with us, please reach out to us at Wilmington Orthodontic Center. Our team of excellent dental professionals is here to assist you and your family to an excellent oral health.