Getting braces can be a nerve-wracking experience, as you make adjustments to your teeth and oral health. However, knowing what to expect after getting braces can help make the process easier and less stressful. Here are some essential tips to help you manage your braces and care for them properly.
1. Initial discomfort: After getting braces, it is normal to experience some discomfort and soreness in your teeth and gums. This usually lasts for a few days to a week. Over-the-counter pain relievers can help alleviate the discomfort.
2. Eating habits: You will need to adjust your eating habits to avoid damaging your braces. Avoid hard, sticky, or chewy foods, such as popcorn, caramel, and gum. Opt for softer foods like yogurt, mashed potatoes, and soups, especially during the first few days.
3. Wear elastics and other appliances: Your orthodontist may provide additional appliances, such as elastics or headgear, to help correct your bite. Be sure to follow their instructions on when and how to wear these appliances.
4. Dealing with emergencies: Occasionally, you may experience issues with your braces, such as a broken bracket or poking wire. Contact your orthodontist for advice on how to handle these situations and schedule an appointment if necessary
5. Retainers: After your braces are removed, you will likely need to wear a retainer to maintain your new smile. Follow your orthodontist's instructions on how long and when to wear your retainer.
6. Celebrate your new smile: Once your braces are removed, enjoy your newly aligned teeth and improved oral health. Continue practicing good oral hygiene and attending regular dental check-ups to keep your smile looking its best.
Whether you're dealing with initial discomfort or are celebrating your newly aligned teeth, Wilmington Orthodontic Center is here to help you every step of the way. Contact us today to get started on your journey towards an improved smile!