One of the most common reasons why people report to the dental office happens to be a toothache. Toothache can be one of the most incapacitating dental experiences. The pain which arises due to a damaged or decayed tooth can be severe and throbbing in nature, and sometimes, it may be dull and continuous. Living with a hurting tooth is a very uncomfortable experience; it makes concentrating on anything difficult, and the pain can sometimes be so severe that it keeps you up at night.
Toothaches are a prevalent complaint, and one of the most frequently asked questions happens to be - What can cause a toothache?
Owing to this, we at Wilmington Orthodontic Center have created a list of reasons which can lead to toothache.
- Dental decay or dental cavities is a microbiological disease of the tooth which attacks the tooth structures and leads to its demineralization. Our tooth is composed of three layers, namely, enamel, dentine, and pulp. Once the pulp gets affected, it leads to pain. The pain of dental cavities can be dull and continuous or severe and throbbing if the lesion has advanced. Dental cavities are the most common cause of toothache.
- A dental abscess is the bacterial infection of the inside of the tooth and leads to the formation of a pus-filled cavity, leading to intense and continuous pain.
- Fractured and cracked teeth can also be a reason for a toothache. The pain increases when you bite on something and then release it.
- Food particles or any foreign object, if stuck between the teeth or the gums, can also lead to toothache and discomfort.
- Teeth clenching or teeth grinding, which is medically termed as bruxism, can also be a cause of constant and generalized toothache.
- Infected gums.
- Teeth sensitivity can lead to pain upon consumption of hot, cold, sour, or sweet foods and beverages.
- Faulty or damaged dental fillings and restorations can also be a cause of toothache.
The reasons for toothache are many and therefore require a prompt and proper diagnosis by a dentist in Wilmington to ensure optimum relief. Untreated cases of a toothache can also be a reason for multiple complications and therefore necessitates early treatment. If you happen to be suffering from such dental ailments, please schedule an appointment with us today. If you have any questions or would like to know more about our services, contact our team of excellent dental professionals at Wilmington Orthodontic Center. We will be there to assist you.