What is Orthognathic Surgery
Orthognathic surgery is a type of corrective jaw surgery that helps to reposition the jaws and teeth. It is also known as corrective jaw surgery or simply jaw surgery. This type of surgery is used to correct a wide range of dental and skeletal irregularities, including the misalignment of jaws and teeth, which can affect the way the patient bites and chews, as well as their appearance.
Indications of orthognathic surgery
- Correction of asymmetries of the face
- Repositioning of the maxilla or mandible
- For improvement of function, such as chewing and speaking
- For better facial aesthetics and balance
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- TMJ (jaw joint) dysfunction
The procedure of Orthognathic Surgery
- The procedure begins with the patient being placed under general anesthesia.
- The surgeon then makes incisions in the jaw and repositions it to the desired location.
- The surgeon will also remove or reposition any excess bone and tissue.
- After the jaw has been repositioned, the surgeon will use screws, wires, plates, and other hardware to secure the jaw in its new position.
- Finally, the incisions are closed, and the patient is placed in a splint to protect the jaw while it heals.
Benefits of Orthognathic Surgery
- Improved facial appearance
- Better alignment of the jaws and teeth
- Improved bite and chewing ability
- Reduction of TMJ symptoms
- Improved airway and breathing
- Corrected speech problems
- Improved self-confidence and self-esteem
- Enhanced ability to properly close lips
Orthognathic surgery can drastically improve the quality of life of those suffering from dental and skeletal irregularities. It helps to correct jaw alignment and teeth misalignment, reduce TMJ symptoms, and improve facial appearance. Although it is a major surgical procedure, the benefits far outweigh the risks.
If you have any more questions or wish to schedule an appointment, please reach out to us at Wilmington Orthodontic Center. Our team of excellent dental professionals is here to assist you and your family in brilliant oral and overall health.